529 Plan Details:
Enter your state:
World's Simplest College Calculator:
How old is your child?
Find a 529 Pro:
Enter your zip code:
Enroll In a 529 Plan:
Research and compare 529 plans
Use this section to research 529 plans from every state. We provide plan information and tools that help you choose which plan is right for you. We have even rated all of the nation's 529 plans so you can quickly compare overall effectiveness of each plan.
- Your state's 529 plan
- See our 5-Cap Ratings
- Enroll in a 529 plan
- Compare 529 plans
- Direct vs advisor-sold plans
- Find a 529 professional
We provide overall ratings of how effective a plan is for both in-state investors and out of state investors.
- What is direct-sold vs advisor-sold?
- What is a 529 plan?
- 529 plans & financial aid
- What does college cost?
- College savings tutorial
If you want expert advice on which 529 Plan is right for you. Search our directory to find an 529 professional near you.
Tools & calculators
- The World's Simplest College Cost Calculator
- Is your college eligible under 529 rules?
- Top 10 performing direct-sold plans
See a complete list of 529 plans that you can enroll in directly.
Plans can differ in critical areas. Compare features across all plans.
- State tax deductions available for residents
- Enrollment fees charged
- Do I have to be a resident to apply?
- Can I sign-up online?
- Can I change the account owner?
For state residents
Not sure where to start when choosing a 529 plan? Begin by understanding your state's 529 plan and state tax treatment.
- Is there a tax incentive for using my state's 529 plan?
- How well does my state's 529 plan perform?
- Does my State offer to match my own contributions to an in-state plan?
- How to take advantage of your state's tax deduction
529 plan featured articles
Where to start when choosing a 529 plan?
An important question to ask is whether you will invest in a 529 plan directly, or will you use a financial adviser? Your answer to this question will help narrow down your choices, as about half of all 529 plans are sold through brokers.
Private College 529 and college savings plans: A perfect pair
The Private College 529 Plan can be an excellent complement to a 529 savings plan. Here’s how using these two vehicles together can help maximize savings.
Finding the lowest-cost 529 savings plans
Savingforcollege.com's semi-annual 529 Fee Study compares the lowest and highest 10-year expense totals for all direct-sold 529 savings plans. The purpose of our study is to give you an easy way to view and compare these cost estimates.