529 Plan Details:
Enter your state:
World's Simplest College Calculator:
How old is your child?
Find a 529 Pro:
Enter your zip code:
Enroll In a 529 Plan:
How is your 529 plan performing? Each quarter we analyze thousands of 529 portfolios. Here are our new rankings -- from top to bottom -- for one-year investment performance, three-year investment performance, five-year investment performance and ten-year investment performance. Read More
- FREE Family Guide download
- Which Expenses are Qualified?
- Receive our newsletter
- 529 plan performing?
The simplest way to estimate college costs.
Use our directory to find a 529 professional near you.
- 02/28: California bill proposes 20 percent tax credit
- 02/25: SEC approves rule change to allow MSRB to college 529 plan data
- 02/18: Wisconsin bills set to strengthen 529 state tax deduction
- 01/30: Vermont Higher Education Investment Plan Lowers Fees
- 01/14: Virginia529 inVEST lowers program management fees
- Coverdell ESA vs. 529 Plan: Which to choose? (Video)
- Coverdell ESA vs. 529 Plan: Which to choose? (Script)
- What is the best 529 plan for me? (Video)
- What is the best 529 plan for me? (Script)
- What happens to my 529 if my child gets a scholarship? (Video)
- What happens to my 529 if my child gets a scholarship? (Script)
The 40-Day College Savings Challenge
by Kathryn Flynn
Regardless of your religious beliefs, Lent can be a great time to focus on good spending habits. Over the next 40 days, we challenge our readers to find ways to cut their budget and make room for college savings.
A few questions about rollovers
I did a rollover at the end of last year from a Coverdell to a 529 (it went from my Vanguard Coverdell account directly into my 529 plan. I never received the money). I have a couple of questions: 1) I received a 1099-Q. Does this transaction need to be reported anywhere on my taxes? 2) I believe I read that you can only do one rollover in a 12 month period. Is that from the date of the distribution?... Discuss