529 Plan Details:
Enter your state:
World's Simplest College Calculator:
How old is your child?
Find a 529 Pro:
Enter your zip code:
Enroll In a 529 Plan:
Understanding 529 Plans
Did you know?
Choose your plan based on its performance & resident tax rules, not college location. A student from NY can go to school in CO and use a 529 Savings Plan from CA!
Use this section to learn about 529 Plans, see answers to commonly asked 529 questions and get the latest news from the 529 industry. You can take a tutorial to explain 529 Plans and learn about how to save for college most effectively.
What is a 529 Plan?
Find answers to the most commonly asked questions investors have about 529 plans.
- What is a 529 plan?
- Are 529 plans only for public colleges?
- Name the top 7 benefits of 529 plans
- Does a 529 plan affect Financial Aid?
- What is the penalty on an unused 529 plan?
- Are there estate tax benefits for 529 plans?
- Can I have 529 plans from multiple states?
- Which is the best 529 plan available?
We cover 529 Investors hot topics. Check all our recent homepage feature articles, see the most popular topics and search through our archives.
- 2013 plan performance rankings Q1
- 2013 one-year top performing direct plans Q1
- 2013 three-year top performing direct plans Q1
- 2013 five-year top performing direct plans Q1
- 2013 ten-year top performing direct plans Q1
Take our 7 step tutorial to learn about investing in 529 plans.
- Why Save for College: The Basics
- Ways to Pay for College
- Real Costs of College
- Tax Breaks Available
- Retirement vs College Savings
- How Grandparents Help
- Put Your Plan Together
Grandparents and 529s work well together! In this section we explain gift rules, retirement planning and how best to provide for your grandchild's college education. Learn more...
- 05/17: Montana enacts state tax parity for 529 deduction
- 05/17: Oregon removes its one-plan restriction
- 05/13: New Mexico Scholar's Edge 529 adds investments and rebalancing tool
- 04/22: "Alabama Supreme Court upholds reduced rates for PACT"
- 03/27: Mississippi Affordable College Savings Advisor Program to be terminated
World's Simplest College Calculator
The simplest way to estimate college costs.