Ascent Graduate Student Loan Review
General Graduate Student Loans
Ascent's graduate loan provides remarkable flexibility when it comes to repayment, having a cosigner, and satisfying credit requirements. We rate them as one of the best lenders because of their lenient terms and generous rewards.
How does this loan compare?
You’ll notice we rate Ascent highly compared to other lenders, and there’s good reason for that. Their loans are flexible when it comes to repayment and less stringent when it comes to qualifying.
Here’s what makes their graduate school student loans special: they provide cosigned and non-cosigned loan options, they offer a graduated repayment plan, and you can borrow up to the full cost of attendance at your school. Like other lenders on our list, they don’t charge application, origination or guarantee fees, and they offer fixed and variable interest rates (which are among the lowest in the market). If you choose to repay your loan early, they won’t charge you prepayment penalties. And when it comes to rewards, borrowers enjoy an auto-debit discount, graduation reward and current customer discount, plus a referral program.
Too good to be true? Well, like anything in life, there are drawbacks. You can borrow up to the full cost of attendance with Ascent, but that is limited to an annual and aggregate maximum of $200,000. If you are planning on getting your cosigner released, that option is only available for US citizens and permanent residents.
Ascent Student Loans - Private Student Loan Details
- Credit Check: Not specified by lender
- Repayment Terms: 7, 10, 12, 15 years
- Minimum Borrowing Limit: $2,001
- Yearly Borrowing Limit: $200,000
- Aggregate Borrowing Limit: $200,000
- Application Fee: None
- Origination Fee: None
- Prepayment Penalty: None
- Late Fee: Yes
- Minimum Credit Score: None
- Minimum Annual Income: None
- Maximum Debt-to-Income Ratio: None
- Citizenship Restriction: Available to Citizens, Permanent Residents, DACA students, and International Students with a credit-worthy Citizen or Permanent Resident cosigner
- Minimum Enrollment Restriction: Half-Time
- List of States where Loan is Not Available: None
- Approved Schools Include: Not specified by lender
- Immediate Principal and Interest Repayment: None
- Fixed Monthly Repayment: Yes, 25
- Interest-Only Repayment: Yes
- Full Deferment: Yes
- Length of Grace Period: 9 months
- Maximum Deferment Period: 48 months
- Maximum Forbearance Period: 24 months
- Cosigner Release Option: Yes, after 24 months on-time payments
- Death Discharge: Yes
- Disability Discharge: Yes
- US-Based Call Center: Yes
- Hours of Operation (in addition to weekdays): No Evenings or Weekends
- Application Timeline: 1-2 business days to review required materials
- Scholarship Search Tool: Yes
- Sponsors a Scholarship: Yes
- Job and Career Assistance: Yes
- Financial Literacy Training: Yes