The COVID-19 pandemic has caused many companies to close their doors and send employees home. If you lost your job due to coronavirus or just want to make extra money while you are social distancing at home, consider these ways to earn money from home.
Work From Home Job Opportunities
As companies shift to an online-only presence, there are a number of remote work opportunities.
Customer service representatives are in high demand. You can find customer service job opportunities on Indeed, Monster.com, and ZipRecruiter.
If you’re a woman, you can find remote job opportunities from trusted companies in a variety of fields at remotewoman.com.
Gramlee is always accepting applications from talented editors.
Working Solutions hires virtual call center employees globally. Take a look at their current job listings.
Translators and interpreters can find remote work with LionBridge.
Apple has recently posted new ‘At Home Advisor’ positions.
If you’re looking for freelance writing gigs Contena has a long list of opportunities across industries.
Health insurance companies like Humana and Blue Cross Blue Shield are hiring work from home medical coders and insurance representatives.
Companies are looking for content strategists and marketing agents who can put together cohesive work for their brand. Search these terms on any job board.
Transcribe audio files and video with Scribe.
Use Fiverr to sell your services from blog writing and managing social media to voice overs and genealogy research.
Sign-up for Figure 8 to earn money by transcribing audio, moderating content and more.
Market your skills on Upwork. Categories include writing, design, legal, translation, admin support, customer service, sales, accounting, coding and more.
If you know another language, be an at-home translator with Unbabel.
Earn money with Clickworker by app testing, completing mystery visits, researching, copy editing and other tasks.
If you’re a property owner, you can “rent” out a night in your backyard to campers with Campspace.
Become a virtual assistant. Find jobs at Flexjobs and Upwork.
If you’re a talented writer, try freelance writing. Find jobs on Indeed and Upwork.
Complete surveys from Survey Junkie or Swagbucks.
Teach English online for up to $22 per hour with VIPkid.
Earn a small amount (under $3) for quick tasks with Amazon Mechanical Turk.
Wrap your car with an advertisement, and earn money for simply driving from Wrapify or Carvertise.
If you have an RV, you can List Your RV for Free on RVshare or Outdoorsy.
Lastly, you should update your online resume on websites like LinkedIn and ClearVoice. Make it clear you are looking for work from home opportunities.
Ways to Make Money at Home Right Away
As you wait to hear back from your online applications, here are some ideas to put cash in your pocket right away.
- Sell old stuff on eBay.
- Go through your closet and list your clothes on Poshmark.
- If you have an amazing spreadsheet or list, sell it as a printable on Etsy.
- Is your Instagram or Twitter following insanely good? Leverage this and offer social media management services to others.
- Donate blood plasma for cash.
- Create an online course and sell it on Skillshare or Udemy.
- Offer virtual consultations via Zoom on an area of expertise like skincare, nutrition, or finances.
- Start your own virtual coaching program and market on your social platforms.
- Begin a paid newsletter on an in-demand topic through Campaignzee.
- Create T-shirt designs and sell them in an Amazon Merch store.
Companies Urgently Hiring to Meet Demand During COVID-19
If you are low risk and able to leave the home, consider applying at companies hiring during coronavirus.
- Postmates and GrubHub are hiring delivery drivers.
- According to its website, Aldi is hiring at all stores and warehouses.
- Amazon opened thousands of full-time and part-time positions across the US.
- Kroger has immediate openings at many locations.
- Fed-Ex and UPS have opened several positions to meet increased shipping demands.
- Trader Joe’s across the US are urgently hiring temporary crew members.
You can also search “Urgently Hiring” positions on Indeed and find a list of delivery and service positions available at local companies.
Please remember if you have a shelter in place order in your state, then applying for anything other than remote work is a major risk and not recommended.
Resources if you’re suddenly out of work during the Coronavirus
As you navigate this tumultuous job market, don’t forget about government assistance programs.
- The U.S. Department of Labor has a helpful article on filing for unemployment insurance.
- Continue your healthcare coverage with COBRA. If COBRA is not available to you ore you have exhausted your COBRA benefits, get your children covered under the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). You can also apply for healthcare coverage through Medicaid or the health care exchange programs.
- Apply for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- Your children may be eligible for the Free and Reduced Price School Lunch program. Even though schools are closed in many states, the schools are still finding a way to deliver the meals to children in need.
- Apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps. If your children are under age five, consider also the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC).
- Find free or reduced-cost services on AuntBertha.com.
- For federal student loans, there is a temporary automatic pause on student loan payments through September 30, 2020. If you have private student loans, many lenders are offering options to pause payments. Call your lender immediately to see what is available.