Thrivent Undergraduate Student Loan Review
CU Learn with Thrivent offers best-in-class customer service for its student loans, and even has a multi-year option (saving you the trouble of re-applying every year). That said, you will likely find better rates with other lenders, and, to get the loan, you will have to join the Thrivent Federal Credit Union.
How does this loan compare?
CU Learn with Thrivent has quite the reputation for good customer service. With a US-based call center as well as evening and weekend call center hours, you can be sure that they will listen to your thoughts and concerns. Their multi-year option is further proof of that. If you’ve still got more years of school left, you can apply for their student loan once and get re-approved seamlessly on your future years of study.
Cost-wise, you’ll likely be paying more with them than you would with other lenders. Though they don’t charge application, origination, or guarantee fees, and there’s no penalty for prepaying your loan, they also don’t offer any rewards beyond their autopay discount. You’ll likely find lower interest rates with other lenders.
Lastly, be sure to read the fine print: to borrow from Thrivent you have to join the Thrivent Federal Credit Union. That isn’t rocket science, but it’s a process you’ll have to follow nonetheless.
CU Learn with Thrivent - Private Student Loan Details
- Credit Check: Hard
- Repayment Terms: 5 years, 10 years, 15 years
- Minimum Borrowing Limit: $1,000
- Yearly Borrowing Limit: $80,000
- Aggregate Borrowing Limit: $80,000
- Application Fee: None
- Origination Fee: None
- Prepayment Penalty: None
- Late Fee: Yes
- Minimum Credit Score: 660
- Minimum Annual Income: $30,000
- Maximum Debt-to-Income Ratio: 43
- Citizenship Restriction: Citizens or Residents
- Minimum Enrollment Restriction: Half-Time
- List of States where Loan is Not Available: None
- Approved Schools Include: Non-Profit
- Immediate Principal and Interest Repayment: Yes
- Fixed Monthly Repayment: Yes, Yes
- Interest-Only Repayment: Yes
- Full Deferment: Yes
- Length of Grace Period: 6 months
- Maximum Deferment Period: Not specified by lender
- Maximum Forbearance Period: Not specified by lender
- Cosigner Release Option: Yes, after 24 months on-time payments
- Death Discharge: Yes
- Disability Discharge: Not specified by lender
- US-Based Call Center: Yes
- Hours of Operation (in addition to weekdays): 24/7
- Application Timeline: Not specified by lender
- Scholarship Search Tool: Yes
- Sponsors a Scholarship: Yes
- Job and Career Assistance: None
- Financial Literacy Training: Yes