Monthly top tips
So Says the 529 Guru Archives
No. 21 -
- Is the cost of commuting to school a qualified expense?
- How many different 529 plans should I use?
» No. 20 - 07/28/05
- What is my gift tax if I open my 529 account with me as beneficiary and later on change to my child?
- What are the limitations on changing investments in my 529 account?
» No. 19 - 05/27/05
- Are 529 plans applicable for U.S. students looking to study abroad?
- What is the best way to fund my 529 plan?
» No. 18 - 03/29/05
- What do I need to show on the tax returns I file next month?
» No. 17 - 01/30/05
- How do I count the number of rollovers under the 12-month rule?
» No. 16 - 11/29/04
- What should be done when the 529 beneficiary receives a scholarship?
- Will a rollover contribution qualify for a NY state tax deduction?
» No. 15 - 09/29/04
- Can you provide me any information on how to choose the best 529 plan?
» No. 14 - 07/28/04
- Is a 529 plan a good investment even when the funds aren't used for college?
» No. 13 - 06/02/04
- Roth IRA or a 529 plan?
» No. 12 - 03/28/04
- Do the 529 tax benefits outweigh the extra expenses?
- Can your corporation make contributions to a 529 plan?
» No. 11 - 01/27/04
- Can you roll over your 401k or IRA to a 529 plan?
- How does the government know whether or not you use your 529 withdrawal for college?
» No. 10 - 11/24/03
- What should you do with your 529 plan in light of the mutual fund scandal?
- Why won't your 529 performance match the underlying fund performance?
» No. 9 - 09/24/03
- Do you need separate 529 accounts for your children?
- How do you transfer Coverdell ESA money into a 529?
» No. 8 - 07/22/03
- Can you use a 529 account to save for your own college expenses?
- What is a stable-value portfolio?
» No. 7 - 05/12/03
- Can you dollar-cost average your contributions to a 529 plan?
- Should you borrow against your home to make larger contributions to a 529plan?
» No. 6 - 03/09/03
- How do you report your 529 contributions on a gift tax return?
- How can you avoid 529 account maintenance fees?
» No. 5 - 01/09/03
- What are these new private prepaid tuition plans (e.g the Independent 529 Plan)?
- How are 529 accounts treated in determining financial aid eligibility?
» No. 4 - 12/04/02
- How do you go about counting your qualified higher education expenses?
- How are Coverdell ESA contributions reported on a gift tax return?
» No. 3 - 10/31/02
- How do 529 withdrawals affect your ability to claim the Hope or Lifetime Learning credit?
- Can you roll over from a 529 prepaid tuition plan to a 529 savings plan?
» No. 2 - 09/30/02
- Can you avoid the nonqualified withdrawal penalty if your child is attendinga military academy?
- Will you be able to transfer from a 529 to a Coverdell account if the 529exclusion expires in 2010?
» No. 1 - 08/15/02
- When are 529 plans going to be federalized?
- Can you regain control of UTMA funds by putting them in a 529?
- A special query from Mom