New GI Bill pays children's college


Dear Joe,

We put some money away in a 529 plan for our daughter, but now we are planning to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill that will pay for almost all of her college expenses. Will this qualify for the scholarship exception, so that we can take penalty-free withdrawals from the 529 plan when she gets to college?


Dear Barbara,

It appears the answer is yes. Any education benefits you receive under the Post-9/11 GI Bill will make you eligible for the scholarship exception. This means you will be able to take withdrawals from your 529 plan up to the amount of GI Bill education benefits received without incurring the usual 10 percent penalty tax on nonqualified withdrawals.

The 529 penalty exception applies to scholarships that are tax-free under Section 117 of the Internal Revenue Code, to benefits for U.S. military service under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34 or 35 of Title 38, or Chapter 1606 of Title 10 of the U.S. Code, and to payments other than gifts or bequests for higher education which are excludable from gross income under any law of the United States.

Although the Post-9/11 GI Bill is found in Chapter 33 of the U.S. Code, which is not specifically mentioned, the payments made under the Post-9/11 GI Bill are excludable from gross income and therefore should be eligible under the third category of benefits.

Remember, just because the penalty is waived does not mean you avoid income tax on your 529 plan withdrawals. The funds withdrawn and not used for the beneficiary's qualified higher education expenses are treated as nonqualified withdrawals. The earnings portion of these withdrawals must be reported on either your or your daughter's federal income tax return, depending on who receives the withdrawal checks. If you live in a state with a personal income tax, check the rules of that state to determine if penalty-free scholarship withdrawals might also qualify as tax-free on the state level.

If you expect the total of your Post-9/11 GI Bill payments to be more than the balance in your 529 plan, you can consider making additional contributions to your 529 plan. Although the earnings will not be tax-free, they will be tax-deferred, and you may be able to shift the income to your daughters lower income-tax bracket during the withdrawal years. Depending on where you live, and which 529 plan you use, you might also be eligible to claim a state income tax deduction for your contributions. However, be sure to speak with your tax professional first.

Other recent questions

»Two kids, two 529 plans? (03/07/2018)
»Top 529 Plan Withdrawal Tips. (Video) (03/30/2017)
»What are the 3 biggest 529 plan myths? (Video) (03/17/2017)
»Does a 529 plan affect financial aid? (Video) (03/16/2017)
»How much does college cost? (Video) (03/15/2017)
»What Are The Top 7 Benefits Of 529 Plans? (Video) (03/14/2017)
»529s and Financial Aid (Video) (11/19/2014)
»What are the best ways to maximize the savings in my 529 plan? (Video) (10/14/2014)
»What are the steps involved in setting up a 529 account? (Video) (09/15/2014)
»What is the first step in getting started with a 529 plan? (Video) (09/05/2014)
»Coverdell ESA vs. 529 Plan: Which to choose? (Video) (07/15/2013)
»What is the best 529 plan for me? (Video) (07/10/2013)
»What happens to my 529 if my child gets a scholarship? (Video) (07/02/2013)
»Can grandparents open a 529? (Video) (06/20/2013)
»Do I have to use my own state's 529 plan? (Video) (06/12/2013)
»529 Plans: Tax Benefits of a 529 Plan (Video) (06/07/2013)
»What are the Pros & Cons of 529 plans? (Video) (05/30/2013)
»What is a 529 College Savings Plan? (Video) (05/21/2013)
»Expected addition to the the family (04/16/2013)
»Naming a successor to your 529 account (Video) (05/11/2012)
My College Savings

Help us personalize our site for you.

1. I am a ...
Please select an option.
2. My child is ...
Years Old
Please enter the age of your child.
3. I have a 529 plan for this child
Please select an option.

Reset email successfully sent.
Please check your inbox.