- Credit Check: Soft for Rate Check, Hard for Application
- Repayment Terms: 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years
- Minimum Borrowing Limit: $5,000
- Application Fee: None
- Origination Fee: None
- Prepayment Penalty: None
- Late Fee: None
Earnest: Private Student Loan
Student Loan Refinancing
Other Loans that Earnest Offers:
Earnest is another private student loan lender that you might want to consider for refinancing your student loan debt. This lender is highly flexible, making it especially great for those looking to fast-track their debt repayment and pay off their student loans more quickly as well as those that might need extra time to make payments. This lender does offer Parent PLUS refinancing as well.
If you don’t have the income and credit scores (650+) to qualify for one of these loans on your own, you’re out of luck. This lender does not offer the option of applying with a cosigner at this time. But if you do qualify, you’ll have access to very competitive interest rates. Choose from 5, 10, 15 and 20-year repayment terms. To be eligible to borrow, you need to either be a college graduate or be an enrolled student who is less than one semester away from graduating.
You must refinance at least $5,000 in student loan debt or $10,000 if you are a California resident. You can borrow up to $500,000. Earnest is known for moving quickly through loan applications and telling you what your interest rate will be in a matter of minutes. They also have great customer service, though there are no evening or weekend call hours.
If you borrow with Earnest, you have the option of skipping one of your payments every 12 months without being penalized (though your monthly payment and total loan amount will be adjusted and increase after). Earnest offers the option to defer your payments as well. Even further, you have the ability to customize your payment due dates when you borrow with Earnest. And if you’re still struggling to make your payments, you can have them reduced or paused through forbearance of up to 12 months.
Earnest - Private Student Loan Details
- Minimum Credit Score: 650
- Minimum Anual Income: Not specified by lender
- Citizenship Restriction: Available to Citizens, Permanent Residents, DACA students, and International Students with a credit-worthy Citizen or Permanent Resident cosigner
- List of States where Loan is Not Available: DE, KY, NV
- Approved Schools Include: Title IV
- Maximum Deferment Period: 36 months
- Maximum Forbearance Period: 12 months
- Cosigner Release Option: Not specified by lender
- Death Discharge: Yes
- Disability Discharge: Yes
- US-Based Call Center: Yes
- Hours of Operation (in addition to weekdays): No Evenings or Weekends
- Application Timeline: Rate estimate in 2 mintues
- Scholarship Search Tool: None
- Sponsors a Scholarship: Yes
- Job and Career Assistance: Yes
- Financial Literacy Training: Yes