- Credit Check: Hard
- Repayment Terms: 5 years, 10 years, 15 years
- Minimum Borrowing Limit: $10,000
- Application Fee: None
- Origination Fee: None
- Prepayment Penalty: None
- Late Fee: Yes
CU Learn with Thrivent: Private Student Loan
Other Loans that CU Learn with Thrivent Offers:
CuLearn with Thrivent Credit Union is a fine student loan refinancing option, but it’s by no means excellent. Thrivent owns cuLearn, a network of credit unions that works together to connect students with lenders. This lender offers multiple repayment options including graduated repayment but there are a few major cons pertaining to borrowing limits and terms that you’ll want to be aware of.
Depending on the full amount of your loans, you may not be able to refinance everything you’ve borrowed with Thrivent. This credit union requires a minimum loan of $10,000 and allows you to borrow up to a maximum of $120,000. Especially if you have both undergraduate and graduate loans to refinance, this borrowing limit may be a problem. With that said, Federal Stafford, Parent PLUS, Graduate PLUS, Federal and Private Consolidation Loans, and Private loans are all eligible for refinancing.
Thrivent offers 5, 10 and 15-year repayment terms. Choose from immediate or graduated repayment plans on your loan. Immediate Repayment will require you to make fixed monthly payments over the course of your loan. Graduated Repayment will require lower monthly payments for the first two years and increased monthly payments for the remaining 13 years of the loan.
Graduated repayment is only recommended for those who cannot afford to make higher interest payments initially, as this plan results in paying more interest over the life of the loan than on the Immediate Repayment plan. If you need help deciding what repayment plan is best for you or have any other questions about your loan, this lender has a 24/7 call center available for you to use. Should you apply with a cosigner — who may be your spouse — you can apply to release them after 24 consecutive on-time payments.
CU Learn with Thrivent - Private Student Loan Details
- Minimum Credit Score: 700
- Minimum Annual Income: 30000
- Maximum Debt-to-Income Ratio: 0.43
- Citizenship Restriction: Citizens or Residents
- List of States where Loan is Not Available: None
- Approved Schools Include: Non-Profit
- Maximum Deferment Period: Not specified by lender
- Maximum Forbearance Period: 12 months
- Cosigner Release Option: Yes, after 24 months on-time payments
- Death Discharge: Yes
- Disability Discharge: Not specified by lender
- US-Based Call Center: Yes
- Hours of Operation (in addition to weekdays): 24/7
- Application Timeline: Not specified by lender
- Scholarship Search Tool: Yes
- Sponsors a Scholarship: Yes
- Job and Career Assistance: None
- Financial Literacy Training: Yes