Can I Use Last Year’s Taxes on this Year’s FAFSA?

Facebook icon Twitter icon Print icon Email icon
Mark Kantrowitz

By Mark Kantrowitz

August 9, 2023

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) bases income and tax information on a specific year’s federal income tax returns, the prior-prior year. You cannot substitute income and tax information from a more recent year even if the information is available. However, if your income has changed since the prior-prior year, you can file a financial aid appeal with the college’s financial aid administrator.

For example, the 2024-2025 FAFSA is based on 2022 income and tax information. You cannot substitute 2023 income and tax information.

What is the Prior-Prior Year?

The prior year (PY) is the tax year before the academic year. The prior-prior year (PPY) is the year before that.

Thus, the prior-prior year provides two-year-old income information. 

The FAFSA switched from prior-year income to prior-prior-year income starting with the 2017-2018 FAFSA for several reasons:

  • Use of the prior-prior year allows the FAFSA to be based on federal income tax returns that have already been filed, as opposed to estimating income and tax information. This increases the number of applicants who can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, thereby increasing the accuracy of the information submitted on the FAFSA. 
  • Switching to the prior-prior year allows the FAFSA to be filed earlier, starting on October 1 instead of January 1. This aligns the timing of applications for financial aid with the timing of applications for college admission.

But, isn’t two-year-old income information inaccurate? Not really. In most cases, income does not change significantly from one year to the next. The income information, whether based on the prior year or the prior-prior year, is a proxy for income during the academic year. Studies have shown that the prior-prior-year income is just as accurate (or just as inaccurate) as prior-year income for most families.

Use our Financial Aid Calculator to estimate your family’s financial need based on student and parent income and assets, family size and other criteria.

What If Income Has Changed a Lot Since the Prior-Prior Year?

There are three scenarios in which income might have changed significantly since the prior-prior year. 

  • Unusual events. Job loss, furloughs and pay cuts can cause a big change in income. 
  • One-time events. The receipt of a bonus or other one-time event during the prior-prior year might yield income information that is not reflective of ability to pay during the academic year. 
  • Volatile income. Some jobs normally have income that varies considerably from one year to the next, such as freelance workers, waiters and small business owners.

Can Applicants Change the Income Reported on the FAFSA?

Applicants are not allowed to substitute the current year’s income for income during the previous year. If they do this, their FAFSA will be flagged for verification.

Instead, they should ask the college’s financial aid administrator for a professional judgment review, also known as a financial aid appeal. The financial aid administrator can make adjustments to the data elements on the FAFSA based on adequate documentation of special circumstances.

Job loss and pay cuts are typically the top reasons for an appeal and the type of appeal that was most likely to be approved. Under the simplified FAFSA which is in effect starting with the 2024-2025 academic year, new examples of special circumstances that can be considered for financial aid appeals have been introduced. These include unusual business, investment and real estate losses, as well as severe disability of the student, parent or spouse.

Financial aid administrators can choose to substitute income during any 12-month period for the prior-prior-year income, if it more accurately reflects the family’s ability to pay for college. 

Most financial aid administrators will substitute an estimate of income during the academic year. For example, if a parent lost their job but now has a new job, the financial aid administrator will use a recent pay stub to estimate income during the full year. 

Some financial aid administrators will substitute income during the prior year for income during the prior-prior year, if it is available. They will consider unemployment benefits and severance pay in addition to the change in income.

If the parent’s income is volatile, the financial aid administrator might use an average of adjusted gross income from 3-5 years of federal income tax returns to smooth out the volatility. 

Shop Smarter For College

See your personalized affordability profile for 3 schools and find out how much you might need to borrow with the free MyCAP tool from College Aid Pro  If you want to get a personal coaching session or advanced features, use SFC15 for a 15% discount!

See also:

A good place to start:

See the best 529 plans, personalized for you